Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Grandma Gatewood

Wearing my fitted waterproof boots and permethrin coated outerwear, carrying my down bag, spare clothing, dehydrated meals, water purifier and butane boiler in a posture conforming internal frame pack -- reading her tale, I'm almost embarrassed to call myself an AT backpacker. Could I have sewn my own carrying bag, walked the trail in sneakers, lived on scavenged food, and endured the conditions she survived?

Her story is a good reminder of the power we all can find in choosing a path and following it with determination.


Emma Rowena Gatewood, recognized as the first woman to thru hike the Appalachian Trail

Anyhow. I plan to be out there again from August 11 to August 13, and again from September 3 to September 15. Come on out when you can, can't be sure how long it's going to last or how many more years each of us has to be physically able to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment