Thursday, October 5, 2017

Water, water everywhere... UPDATED

Raining in torrents outside Peter's Mountain Shelter tonight ... ironic, someone just headed down the three hundred stone steps to the only viable spring in this stretch of trail.

Water is pouring out of the shelter's gutter. The two Army vets and I, having already stumbled down to fill up, smile and wave to the latecomers who see the sign and look back at us for hope and courage. It's down there, really.


Not to mention the part without steps

... and these are the steps!




















While rehydrating to make up for several days of short rations, I bemoan my slow progress to my companions. No worries, they say, only 11 miles to Duncannon, now that you've got water. Even a Navy vet can make it tomorrow, you're doing fine. Actually, since there's a storm coming in and no more water sources until the doubtful one at Clark's Ferry, you really should make it tomorrow.

Ohh-kay. Tomorrow (Friday), I will push on toward Duncannon, aiming to arrive and go to ground before the weather hits. Could delay my arrival at Pine Grove Furnace by an additional two days or more. Then, time out.

No comments:

Post a Comment