Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Crampton Gap to Harper's Ferry finish line!

Crampton Gap - shelter from the storm
Compensating for our early stop yesterday, I took advantage of local hiker lore to short cut around one of the never-ending climbs that had troubled my Californian hiking partner. It also helped me deal with my recurrent leg muscle cramping problem, and we were able to arrive in Harpers Ferry just before an ice cream store closed.

Along the way, we stopped at Weverton Cliffs to enjoy the view of the Potomac. Sean noticed the long trains rumbling by below us, and was dismayed to learn that they were carrying coal.

"Are they still burning that?" he asked with dismay. Well, yes, sadly. He told me about the ongoing marketing of gem-quality coal crystals as "jet", and we agreed that burning it was a wasteful practice.

Looking Out At The Promised Land of Hot Showers
After our restorative ice cream, we followed a shortcut to the hostel past PATC's Highacre Cabin and through the cemetery, where we were greeted by a half dozen deer playing chase games. It was a fun sight, but would have been more enjoyable if our joints had not been howling about this additional climb to the Tea Horse Hostel.

A conversation halfway up the stairs leading up to the graveyard --

"Grandpa, I just want you to know that I am in extreme pain."

"Thank you for letting me know, Sean. I would like you to know that I share your pain."

Hot  showers and pizza restored our strength, and we shared a cheery rambling conversation with another guest at the Trail-renowned Tea Horse Inn before we retired.

The shuttle to Round Hill arrives tomorrow at 10:30, and we expect to be back in the world of traffic and washing machines by mid day. Another great adventure, done!

No comments:

Post a Comment