Friday, September 16, 2016

Weather wins

Forecast in the high 80's for the Blue Ridge next week; I don't know a way to work around that.

Prowling downtown Buchanan today, which seems to open up about 11. No hiking supplies, no taverns, not even a grocery store ... like Buena Vista, another bitter story of the double whammy of the corporate executive driven  NAFTA-supported abandonment of American manufacturing, and the 2006 recession.

To be positive: evidence that Buchanan is working to recover also shines in the city. The homes and empty storefronts are well kept, the post office is new, there are people in the streets.


-


I am calling it, will shuttle to Roanoke tomorrow and pick up the car. Next hikes in October, weather permitting, with my zero degree bag.

Quote of the day from Sojourners:

I read in a book that a man called Christ went about doing good. It is very disconcerting to me that I am so easily satisfied with just going about. - Toyohiko Kagawa

No comments:

Post a Comment