Monday, May 7, 2018

A Squirrely Day

… hundreds of them, leaping over rocks and branches, flashing fluffy gray-trimmed tails as they dodged even faster chipmunks. Spring has arrived, hurry, hurry, hurry!


Eh. I was content to make another slow start and ease down the trail, keep my water supply refilled, and take breaks when joints and muscles complained. Plenty of time today.


My pace was still good enough that bypassing Rutherford shelter and going on to High Point was a possibility. Only common sense (or laziness?) kept me from pushing my feet over the last mountain.


It was a good choice! Here's a photo of the shelter.

Rutherford shelter



The satellite dish is a sight gag, of course, there's no TV or even power in the cabin. Entries in the log book bewail the poor reception and channel coverage. One writer complained that he had hoped to encourage the local bear to watch a Game of Thrones rerun with him, but ….


For myself, I managed to get the tent up and everything under cover before a mid afternoon rain squall hit. Definitely a good choice, the Ion would not have appreciated a drenched rat stumbling up and climbing in.


After the rain passed, the sky cleared, the sun and the leaves turned the woods bright green, and the birds leaped into an ecstatic evensong welcome to Spring!

Tomorrow, I expect to greet the Ion in the parking lot and drive to Warwick, New York, for two nights in an overpriced two star hotel. Laundry, shower, refill my backpack, recharge my electronics, and recharge myself with a restaurant meal.


Thursday morning, the car should be near Bellevue, George Lightcap' s shuttle should carry me back to Unionville. Then, I plan to head out for another week on the Trail. Massachusetts or bust!

No comments:

Post a Comment