Thursday, May 10, 2018

It doesn't have any water, but it's dry!

The bright clear sky this morning belied any intent of sending difficult weather my way, but the forecast kept me moving as I thumped across the flat onetime sod farms now become a wildlife refuge. Avian songs filled the skies, with nary a rattle to be heard ... perfection, only slightly dented by an SUV barreling down the back road.

A New Jersey swamp trail boardwalk

Pochuck Shelter

The trail then dove into a forest of old swamp oak and took to a chain of boards stretched across one of New Jersey's renowned swamps. Then, across open fields, now swept by chilly gusts - yup, accurate forecast, to the hour - and up the first ridge slope to Pochuck shelter. I arrived by 11 am and settled in for a "nero" (near zero miles) day. The leading edge of the thunderstorm followed a half an hour later.

There's no water supply at this shelter, but it will give me a dry space to make an early start on tomorrow's perfect forecast. I will need it! The next shelter is 13 miles away, beyond a rocky 900 foot climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment