Friday, May 11, 2018

Up! ... Wait, after I finish this donut

Predawn start today, silencing my vibrating alarm quickly to avoid disturbing the other shelter occupants and heading out on the Trail by 6:40 am.

A perfect morning for hiking!

Several innovative and sturdy bridges

The renowned New Jersey AT boardwalk

 


It's an art, getting everything quietly out of the shelter and onto the picnic table and stuffed into my pack, all the while cooking up oatmeal …. The retired teachers from Georgia rose early also, and debated whether to take the time to make a hot breakfast. We all share a concern with getting over the next section while the weather is clear.

Funny things you learn about people out here. I was not as surprised as I  might have been to see that neither really understood how to prepare oatmeal using a water boiler, since I had watched them struggle with making a quick rice and instant vegetable concoction last night. I did offer help, but they declined. Okay, hike your own hike!


They are faster hikers than I am, though. They caught up and passed me twice as we walked the low ridges and bogs, and finally left me behind for good on the climb up to Wawayanda Ridge.


Wawayanda Ridge

The hike to the ridge was not as difficult as I was afraid it might be. The trail did climb through several boulder riversx but the total climb was less than half of the northside approach to the Priest that I did last year.

Also, a local hiker tipped me to a welcome surprise that energized my spirits for the climb, a farm market offering fresh cider donuts and serious ice cream … so I enjoyed lunch there before sprinting (erm, or staggering?) up to the ridgetop.


Motivational supplies
Saturday's forecast is calling for more chilly rain. I may try out my rain kilt, or I may just sit tight here in the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment