Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Expecting New Results

The walls are muttering again about Doing Something Useful With My Time, so I am going to try to collect a few more white blazes before winter e sets in. Hopes for checking off the 1000 mile mark having been dashed in New York last May, I am just pushing to get beyond my mid Atlantic comfort zone.

Also, the partisan drumbeat in northern Virginia ... whatever Canada does to pull off their elections in a couple of months, we need to embrace as protection for the last fragments of our national sanity.

This time, the trail will lead north through the mountains just south of the Virginia border. Highlights will include the shelter at Roan High Knob, highest on the AT at 6186 feet, bracketed by a number of "balds", mountains of similar size that rise above the tree line, close to the Nolichucky Gorge and through the Mountain Harbour B&B (https://mountainharbour.info) , which will doubtless look even better when I collapse at its door after a week of Ups and Downs.

Weather is always a concern in this area. The forecast at the moment is for rain, and rain, and then probably, well, rain.  Having had enough of hiking wet in New Jersey last spring, I will be tuning my hiking plan to dodge between raindrops.

I plan to depart on September 15, return to Round Hill in early October, and post tales of my travels when my Internet connection allows!



No comments:

Post a Comment