Friday, September 28, 2018

Staying on to the End

No rain! Breakfast, pack, an earnest goodbye to Snickers the UL hiker and a less earnest see ya at the next shelter to the noobs. One of them woke the camp this morning,  screaming from his hammock at a creature moving through their area … it was his buddy, answering Nature's call. Good grief, sixty year old Boy Scouts.

Rolling! Do I keep going and struggle through eleven miles into Damascus tomorrow, or do I call for a shuttle? When the trail runs level, I'm for option A; when it tilts up or a chilly gust crosses the ridge, B.

Sunshine breaks out and seals the deal. On to the shelter!

I was the first-in at Abingdon Gap Shelter. Close behind, a cheery hospital social worker arrived. I offered help with hanging her bear bag.

A young flip flop couple stops in, and we recognize each other. I thought they would be miles ahead of me! They say that are finishing the Trail in Damascus. After a brief chat, they go off to find a space for their tent.

No sign of the noob trio, could they have gotten into trouble and given up?  As we are finishing up and withdrawing to our sleeping bags, though, they arrive, still headed to Damascus like I am.

To sleep. Tomorrow, early up and on the trail for eleven more miles, good weather anticipated!

Eleven miles? Don't let the Snail know.

No comments:

Post a Comment