Saturday, September 16, 2017

A less than positive start

Riding a bus towards Scranton as I write this.

Bittersweet memories overwhelmed me this morning as Kirsten drove me through western Maryland (recalling the evening at Elk Neck State Park when our family encountered a large herd of deer grazing on open pasture), through Churchman’s Marsh (a regular source of emergency response income for all of the volunteer rescue stations in the area, including the one in Claymont that started my son’s career seventeen years -- seventeen? yes -- ago) to Philadelphia and the 30th Street Station.

Photos here were retieved online; mine did not turn out.


Less than organized start this morning, waking up at 2 and deciding to rearrange items in my pack. It is still not ready for the trail, but I plan to work on it when I reach the hostel this evening.

Intentionally left behind: the inReach satellite communicator, which has some  unresolved conflict with the company’s host server, and my leaking primary Platypus water bladder, which I tried unsuccessfully to patch yesterday. Fortunately, I have a backup. Unintentionally almost left behind: my spare pair of hiking pants, discovered patiently waiting to be loaded when I was repacking at 2. What else have I forgotten?

News reports say Hurricane José is heading northwest, threatening to go ashore in New Jersey. That may delay my hike, or even cancel it .... Shikata kanai, nothing I can do except keep an eye on the weather as I am hiking.

The Schuylkill Expressway north out of Philadelphia provoked more memories with its usual traffic jams across from Wissahickon and Conshohocken. Northbound, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment