Thursday, September 28, 2017

Recidivist Rocks

Out of the hotel a bit too quickly this morning, leaving behind a tarp and some of the few clothes I have that will not send people upwind of me. Sigh.

Almost perfect hiking weather today, mild temperatures, brisk winds to keep the bugs grounded. The Trail had some long sections with severely misaligned rocks again, but I managed to get over them without incident. 

Biggest challenge today was finding the Trail! I wandered the streets of Port Clinton to find the way across the Little Schuykill, then another part of the town to get across the (bigger?) Schuykill, then to find the AT trailhead. The latter was conveniently located in an active railroad switching yard, pointed out to me by a genial engineer who was clearly used to AT acolytes.


Perfectly obvious where the trailhead is



"You know how to cross a track?" he asked.

"I do! Check both ways for moving trains, stand facing along the line of the rail, step across one foot at a time without placing my foot on the rail. Thank you!"





I am dining by firelight tonight with two fellow southbounders and a local. Life is really good, and the rocks on this side of the state aren't that much more difficult than some of Virginia's trails.





No comments:

Post a Comment