Sunday, September 17, 2017

Cloudwalking

Up early this morning, gathering my gear and taking it outside as quietly as I could manage. The mildew smell had not been as difficult for sleeping as I was afraid it might, but sleep did not come easy.

The half dozen southbound collegians and their dogs did not stir as I slipped out to make breakfast on the patio.

There was a fellow driving down the alley next to the church who stopped and greeted me. Assuming he was the caretaker, I walked over and asked if he was in charge of this excellent place. He refused intensely, saying he was too sinful a man for that role ... which led to a spirited and positive chat about faith, evil, redemption, and the difference between love and lust. Heavy stuff before the first morning tea.

Up one block, right turn -- first white blaze, on a telephone pole. A heavy morning fog blocked any view of the ridges and made a steam bath of the mild heat. The easy walk up a fire road grew steeper, and the tread gave over to the infamous rocks of Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania Rocks

















No comments:

Post a Comment