Sunday, September 24, 2017

Torrid Rocks

I celebrated completing the Lehigh Gap section last night with a NY strip steak dinner and some cheery conversation with one of the owner's lifelong friends. Said friend was needling Ken by disapproving of his new girlfriend, declaring that someone who was almost sixty and had been through a divorce and a bad breakup should reconsider his priorities ... Ken and said girlfriend Amy gave back as good as they took; I enjoyed the show for a while, and then withdrew to my room by 8:30. Too tired to pack up, I set the alarm for an early wakeup and fell asleep.
Different from the scree in Oregon

Wait, the trail goes where?
Ken looked a little disheveled at 8 in the morning, and was surprised to find me packed up and ready for breakfast. Amy joined him later to help him work out my bill and to keep my coffee cup full. He told me that after twenty-one years, he is ready to sell the restaurant and move on. Likewise, he says, she is ready to quit teaching. 

They haven't decided where they are going yet, though. I wish them well.

With a forecast high in the low nineties, I planned to climb quickly to the next shelter/spring and go to ground before the mid day heat set in. In spite of the stone-covered trail, I made good time to the shelter. Tent site, check, bear bag hanging tree, check, privy, check. Half a mile downhill, though, the spring was dry. 

So I walked on, sipping from my dwindling water supply and taking long breaks in shaded areas. 

A trio of local hikers who I met yesterday near Knife Edge came up as I was standing in a cool grove. As he trudged by, the one whose trail name is Slug observed that it had taken a longer time to catch up with a Snail than they expected.  

What could I say? Yesterday was a good day for Snails. They forged onward, I rested a while longer.

Shortly after noon, I made it to the trail turn leading downhill to Dan's Spring. Third time the charm? It was! I filtered and hauled water back up to the ridge, and set camp.

Hunter orange is suddenly very fashionable on the trail, and the woods are echoing with rifle shots as the apex predators prepare for the season's opening in two weeks. I'll be wearing my orange vest, and putting an orange rain cover over my pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment