Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Well Stacked Rocks

Two more first time social events for me on the Trail this morning. First (hopefully only), eating breakfast with two SOBO hikers while they medicated up  for the day: bootleg antibiotics, "vitamin I", and a bowl of marijuana. One of them was definitely old enough to know better. Chronologically speaking, at least.

Second, meeting a black woman of my age who stayed in the shelter last night. There's hope for diversity on the Trail yet!

The climb to the Pinnacles was less difficult than I expected. Trail surfaces were mostly free of rock scrabble and a layer of cirrus cloud reduced the trail heat load. The Pinnacles were definitely the best use of Pennsylvania Rock I've seen to date, nicely layered and stacked. Magnificent views, well worth the climb.

I met a woman with a full backpack and daughter who identified as a 2013 NOBO. She was taking her daughter up to the Pinnacles to see the sunrise. Good parenting, yes?

Near the Pinnacles, confirmation of my suspicions; here's one place where they collect the rocks to put on the trails 

My intended shelter site to end this day is in extreme disrepair, smelling of an overflowing privy. I continued on to a  tent site next to a stream, no problem. 

Wait, the purifying filter has clogged and will not backflush! Easily resolved, I switched to my backup bottle of chlorine tablets. 

That's how I keep moving. Tomorrow, Port Clinton, Thursday the Rock & Sole Hostel for two days' R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment